Lock and Keys are used to restrict access to containers and rooms. A Key can be used to unlock locks, provided it is of the same type as the lock used. The type of key can be seen as a letter e.g. "Key - A" or "Key - B".
- Create a Lock Blank by using a chisel on a Steel Ingot then hitting with a Smithing Hammer. (It can be scrapped by placing in a Clay Bowl).
- Create Lock and Key Parts by using a chisel on a Steel Blade Blank and hitting with a Smithing Hammer.
- Combine Lock Blank with Lock and Key Parts to get Lock and Key Blank. (It can be scrapped by placing in a Clay Bowl).
- A Lock and Key Blank can be assigned a letter using a Steel File to get Lock and Key. The type of key made is displayed in the name e.g. "Lock and Key - A" or "Key - ?".
When a key is in the lock you can hit it with a hammer to return it to a lock blank and then re file it into another letter.
Using Lock and Key on either Wooden Door, Wooden Chest, or Signs will place the lock and return the Key. That object can then be unlocked using a key of the same type as the lock used. Closing a door or chest with a lock will automatically lock it. So try not to get locked in a room without a key, or lock the key in the chest which it unlocks.
Using a Steel File on a Key will create Lock Removal Key. Which can be used to remove a lock of the same type as the key, returning the Lock and Key.
Note: Removing a lock from a sign is the same as unlocking it, and does not need a lock removal key.
- Added in v.79
- The raw object name of lock and keys, as seen in the update log and on onetech include a "$10". E.g. "Lock and Key $10" is the raw object name given for a lock and key that has been assigned a letter (the $10 is the placeholder for the letter).
- Prior to v.162, it was possible to obtain a Key which was labeled with a question mark. This occurred after a server reset, when all keys and locks got set to "Key - ?". It could also be duplicated.